We celebrate efforts of citizens, companies and organizations in Greenwood County as they seek to preserve and restore the history their architecture represents. The Architectural Preservation and Restoration Awards program was established in 2009 and recognizes the significant work of Greenwood County families, citizens and institutions to preserve and restore the architecturally important buildings of the area. Each winner is presented a brass plaque with the name and date of the original building. We welcome nominations and a link to the nomination form is at the bottom of this page and within our News & Notes section.
Stony Point, circa 1818, is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Stony Point is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built over a number of years by William Smith of Culpeper Court House, Culpeper, VA, who located with his family in 1793 and completed by 1818, the three-story brick Federalist style building is one of the oldest in the county. The original ceiling painting in the main hall is intact as are the eight fireplaces in located on two of the three floors. Bricks for the exterior walls were made on the place with ground-up oyster shells brought from Charleston for the mortar and set in a Flemish bond pattern. The original plantation was 1,885 acres and stayed in the family until the 1920s. It was purchased by a family member in 2002 and restored.
The Oaks, also known as the Downs Calhoun House, Calhoun-Henderson House, and Lumley Farmstead was originally built ca. 1825 and is on the National Register of Historic Places. It consists of a two-story wood-frame I-house with significant alterations and additions about 1845, 1855, 1880 and 1920.
The Kinard House is a historic home located at Ninety Six, Greenwood County, South Carolina. It was built about 1885 and is a two-story, five bay, gable-front-and-wing Folk Victorian dwelling. It was home to Henry Jefferson Kinard and his son Drayton Tucker Kinard II, prominent business men and public servants who represented Ninety Six and Greenwood County in the South Carolina House of Representatives in late 19th and early-20th centuries. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Kenneth Baker House, alternately known as Sprott's and The Baker House is located at 101 E. Cambridge Ave in Greenwood. The house was built by John Barksdale as a one-story structure. The second story and large white columns in front were added by Kenneth Baker about 1902. Long the residence of Kenneth Baker family, it was remodeled in 1955 and converted into large, high-ceiling rooms to show furniture and home decor arrangements by the R. J. Sprott Furniture Co. when they relocated from their South Main Street showroom.
Built in 1822 by General George Washington Hodges, the founder of the town of Hodges. Hodges was a brigadier general in the state militia and had been a lieutenant in the War of 1812. Cotton was replacing tobacco as the chief money crop in the upcountry when G.W. Hodges started farming for himself, and he was successful with the new crop. He built the home in 1822 in the town that would become Hodges.
Built by Dr. W. L. Hood and owned and occupied by Viola Wharton for over 41 years. Brick with hardwood floors and original windows.
Built by Judge William Moore at a cost of $3,500. Home and gardens restored to its original grandeur with original hardwoods and windows.
Built by E. J. Boozer on what is now Cambridge Ave, Greenwood's original major thoroughfare, and later moved to its present location in Jennings Heights in 1920 by J. P. Jennings using mule driven carts. The 'tower room' was added later.
Constructed as a US Post Office in 1911 and later used as the Social Security Office for Greenwood Co., the building underwent $2,300,000 in renovations to restore marble and terrazo, crown moldings, brick work, and an outdoor gallery. Currently houses the Art Center among other community offices.
Used as a railroad depot on the Columbia-Greenville route until 1978, the building, constructed in 1852, was bricked in during later years. It has been returned to its original state with modern amenities with work and funding by the Historic Ninety Six Development Assn.
Built by Circuit Judge Alfred Proctor Aldrich Sr., a prominent family at the turn of the 20th century, the Aldrich house is more than 5,000 square foot brick Victorian. Mr. Aldrich came to Greenwood in 1898 and established the Aldrich Machine Shops. Mr. Aldrich was of the Aldrich family of Barnwell county, long prominent in the history of South Carolina.
The Cedar Springs Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church was organized between 1779 and 1780 as the Cedar Creek Church by Dr. Thomas Clark, a seminal leader of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. In 1791 the congregation, renamed Cedar Springs A.R.P. Church, moved two miles northwest to its current site and built a frame house for worship. This two-story brick edifice replaced the frame building in 1853.
Also referred to as the Chalmers House, the home was built by Judge Henry and Mrs. Mary Tillman. It was later owned by Greenwood Mills and lived in by Mr. & Mrs. Joe Chalmers family. The home is constructed of wide cypress wood boards and many of the original brass fittings and original doors remain.
The Ware Shoals Inn is significant for its association with the textile industry in South Carolina. It was built by the Ware Shoals Manufacturing Company in 1923 and is on the National Register of Historic Places. It served as the center of activity in the village for decades and provided lodging for persons having business with the mill and its employees.
The Masonic Female College and Conference School, known today as Cokesbury College, is on the National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1854, it has had very few alterations to its Greek revival style three story structure. For more information, see "News & Notes"
Owner and builder E.S. Jr. and Susan Calhoun Tinsley, was a local peach farmer, agriculturalist and businessman instrumental in the Hodges development.
Located at 2020 Ninety-Six Hwy., Ninety Six, the upcountry farm-house was built by Thomas C. Anderson, who designed the house and paid $500 to a skilled carpenter who supervised the building. Most of the lumber was cut from the land surrounding the place with millwork coming by rail from Augusta, GA.
Located along Greenwood's main thoroughfare, the home has been loving restored by the current homeowners. Refinished hardwood floors, paint in period colors and a restored staircase, the home features original fireplaces and mantles and stained glass entry panels in beautiful repair.
The Dr. Benjamin E. Mays Home, circa 1885, is a tenet farmhouse that was moved from HWY 185 in Epworth to its present location at GLEAMS in 2004. The birthplace of Dr. Benjamin Mays who rose from abject poverty to become President of Morehouse College and a universally recognized Civil Rights Leader, it is now a museum and the reconstructed site is open to the public along with a separate museum dedicated to Dr. Mays.
The foundation of Millway house is made from a simple structure of the original 'piedmont farmhouse' home, completed in 1838 established by John Cothran when he purchased 2000 acres on both sides of Hard Labor Creek. This foundation and structure are enclosed within the final antebellum structure completed in 1868 and owned by a family partnership including the Wooston, Harrison and Anderson families and is located at 907 Millway Road, Bradley, SC.
Homeplace of Mr. and Mrs. James McDonald, the home has been restored and preserved with original fireplaces, mantles and arched dining entry way. The home was designed by James C. Hemphill, architect.
Homeplace of Arthur and Lida Dodson Culbertson, located at 206 Jennings Ave. The Culbertsons were one of Greenwood's first families as mentioned in Greenwood County Sketches by Margaret Watson. It is a Craftsman cottage style home with many original elements restored including floors, light fixtures and wood fixtures.
Homeplace of Rupert Davis designed by architect James C. Hemphill, and based on a farm house in Normandy, France. Interior woodwork is original to the home as are all bathrooms and fixtures. and has retained character and flair original to the period. The home has also been known as Fair Oaks.
Riegle Hall at 53 South Greenwood Ave., Ware Shoals, was built in 1953 by the Riegel Mill company to house the mill superintendent as well as company guests. The Georgian style home is situated on the grounds next to the former home of Mr. Benjamin Riegel and lovingly restored by the present owner .
The home of Dr. Francis Connor was called the "White House" because it was the only painted house in the growing Tabernacle community. It stood on the west side of the road leading from Tabernacle to the present site of Cokesbury.
Designed by architect James C. Hemphill and built in 1917 by Keith Snead for his bride, the lovely two story brick home looks out on to the campus of Lander University. The home has retained much of it's original flavor and has been restored and updated to historical integrity.
Designed by architect James C. Hemphill, this lovely two-story Tudor-style home was originally owned by F. E. Grier in the 1930's and the structure has maintained its original design without many changes over time.
John Pope Abney, founder of Abney Mills, and Susie Mathews Abney, founder of the Abney Foundation, built the Four-Square Craftsman home in 1920 which has been lovingly restored and renovated to its earlier splendor.
The original home was a two story log cabin built circa 1830 and located on the original Abbeville Road. The front Victorian structure seen today as constructed in 1903 to incorporate the cabin. Mary Riley grew up in the home, later marrying Robert Harkness, who served in the confederate War. The cabin has been lovingly maintained and restored over many years and still maintains the early characteristics of early Greenwood County.
Elbert DeVore Andrews was a professional baseball player whose career lasted one season, 1925 with part of it being in major league baseball with the Philadelphia Athletics. He became two term mayor of Greenwood (1927-1931 and 1935-1941) and also managed Long Motor Lines. This James C. Hemphill designed home is still in the hands of the Andrews family and is in its original condition with minor modifications. A rear addition was built in 2007 along with an updated kitchen. Trees on the property were milled to use as siding on the exterior on the new addition.
James T. Medlock purchased 17 acres and had the home built in 1915. While it has been home for 9 owners, the Peterson family held it longest. The house has undergone several modifications but none that have changed the character or original integrity. One large room upstairs has been converted into several smaller bedrooms, and several small rooms into baths. The downstairs kitchen has been updated but sits in its original position with an added larger family room.